This was my prayer...a piece of ground not over large with a garden and near to the house a stream of constant water.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Signs I love!

DSCF0351 

DSCF0349

   Since I was a little kid, I have always liked signs. I remember Mickluses’ store right across the street from our house on Crawford Avenue, full of all kind of signs for various products. I especially loved the “door push” on the front screen door for “Bunny Bread”. You can usually find some of these listed on eBay and they go for beaucoup bucks, regardless of condition in the category of “Advertising Art”. Salada Tea was spelled out in dull gold letters stenciled on the front window. Teaberry Gum advertising consisted of a humongously oversized pack of Teaberrry gum (empty of course). I really hoped Mrs. Micklus would give it to me when Mr. Micklus died and the store was closed, but no dice. There were signs for flour, coffee and every brand of cigarette. Do you remember the two dancing packs of cigarettes that used to be on live, early television? I always wanted to have Halloween costumes like that for me and my older sister. What were the ones you remember? Would love to hear from you on this!

2 comments:

  1. For years I pondered the meaning of "Bridge freezes before road surface". I just didn't get it. Dunce. I know, but finally - somewhere - I saw the same warning, just worded slighly differently. OHHHHHH! I get it! Slow down for the bridge.

    Not quite the same as your signs, but the first thing I thought of because I have to smile inside every time I see this now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have a sign on the side of the street by our playground. It was in the form of a playground guard or policeman with his hand held up telling drivers to slow down. The perfect size for little girls - we all kissed him regularly. Right in front of the convent!

    ReplyDelete